If I were to run a huge business that would require dealing with various big-name suppliers and thousands upon thousands of customers, I would like my company to have the most advanced and most efficient technology there is—given that the company can afford it. So, if I could design and create my own system, these are the things it has to have or do:
1. Online shopping site. I would like my company to have an online shopping site for the convenience of everybody. Through this, more people can avail of the products and it can also be a way to survey the personal preferences of customers.
2. Automatic identification and data capture.
a. A system that would only need customers’ and suppliers’ basic information—like name, address, and contact number—would be ideal. The system itself will be able to gather and record more information about them, especially the customers, through searching through their past transactions, public profiles on the internet and even their searches.
b. Customers won’t have to type or write their information. They can just scan their IDs using the readers on the counters when they check-out.
3. Strong firewall. With the information it stores, the system should be heavily protected to ensure confidentiality.
4. Notify customers. The system should be able to send updates about the company such as sales, promos, and new products to customers.
5. Notify suppliers. In order to avoid running out of supplies, the system should be able to send notifications to suppliers automatically when supplies run low through the use of wireless inventory sensors in the very shelves of the products.
a. An application that enables mobile shopping, product location, and price confirmation are offered to customers. Customers can also review the running totals of their spending through the app which is accessible through the in-store Wi-Fi.
b. Checking out will not have to be drag for customers because they can just carry handheld barcode scanner while shopping and punch the items they would want. They can also recheck the items they have chosen before paying so that they can leave the ones they don’t want behind.